Friday, November 27, 2009

Twitter Tweet Twat Twoot Twittle Dee Twittle Dum

I tweet, therefore, I am a twitterer. I mean, I use twitter.

You're asking why?

Twitter, among the many social media services such as facebook and myspace, is a useful tool to give and receive news, information, and/or useless, waste of time status updates. It is a necessary weapon in a professional communicator's arsenal. The service provides quick information and can be used on the fly which makes it valuable in the corporate world where life can often be lived through a Blackberry.

I was disgruntled when I first heard that I HAD to create a Twitter account, however, after I was able to try it out and experience it for myself, I wasn't so grumpy.

I think Twitter gets the reputation of being another facebook, just with status updates or a chance to get the play by play on Brad Pitt as he brushes his teeth and combs his hair. And, to many it is. Upon using it, I was able to see that it is more useful in gaining knowledge from millions of people around the world. It's like a water hole for the world to congregate around and share the latest bit of knowledge with one another (I know what cheese tastes like, and that was pretty close). But it's true, and it's a good thing.

This being said, and I don't want to dabble into a major debate topic, but I think with all the new social media services being thrown at us (like iANYTHING), we lose our personal edge to communication. We become less raw, and more like computer-nerds, computer-heads, brainless computer headed humans, Blackberry people, facebooks, technology based humans, or like robots.

On a more important note: I know I must roll with the times, but I would rather send love letters than love twitters.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome. I was also confused when I learned we HAD to start Twittering, but now I understand its importance.

    That being said... I don't know how often I will use it... but we'll see!!

    ReplyDelete