Sunday, December 6, 2009

I LOOKED, AND THEN I LOOKED AWAY

Chapter 1 - "Why Africa?"

I stood there, motionless; gazing into the red eyes of a madman and the barrel of his gun. I felt the hate from a few steps away; cold and confused. It was as if he was stealing my soul with his blood-stained stare. I was helpless; raped. Death held me over the edge, eager to let me go. The only thing left for me to salvage was the rest of this cigarette, and possibly, a free ride home in a casket.

“What the hell was I thinking when I decided that it was a good idea to go to Africa anyway?” I sulked to myself. The consequence of my choice seemed far too real at the moment. I could’ve shot myself for my own stupidity.

Why Africa? This question I could never honestly answer. I didn’t know why, or what I was doing in this god-forsaken desert. I used to feel a sense of pride when the question was thrown my way. Whoever asked me was truly puzzled; especially Africans. It was the chance for me to say, “Hey! I’m crazy! I want something crazy out of life.” Now my pride had been sweated out in the sweltering sands of the Kalahari. I wasn’t proud. I was powerless.

My answer was always true; I didn’t know. I was going to Africa, and I didn’t have the slightest clue as to why. Maybe it was a young man’s desire for a real adventure. Maybe I wanted to dip my feet in dangerous waters.

I had spent my entire life living in a small-town on the Canadian prairies. The most adventure I could find there was in drinking tons of booze, getting really high and jumping the midnight train. It didn’t really matter what country I was going to. My hometown was a place that made me question everything. I wanted answers. I had to get out; see the world. What was it like beyond my borders? Would I change if I stepped outside? Who am I? The sort of questions that barrage any young man’s mind after getting out of high-school without a clue of what is what. And rather than working on the farm till the cows came home, I chose Africa. But by now, it made me sick to think about.

7 comments:

  1. I likeyour writing style - is this a true story or fiction? If true, kudos to you for looking for adventure. I'm eagerly waiting for chapter 2...

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thank you! it's a true story with a bit of imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. imagination, like fabrication. "based on a true story."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wild. Now I understand the hype. Can't wait for the reading to hear the full story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jon,

    Please post more of it. I love it already.

    Sincerely,

    Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't keep us hanging with only the first chapter! You should read your whole story on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jon, this is great. This isn't even a chapter! POST THE WHOLE DAMN THING.

    And to echo Neil, I totally understand the hype now.

    ReplyDelete