Monday, December 7, 2009

I LOOKED, AND THEN I LOOKED AWAY

Chapter 2 - "Chaos Has A Gun"

The man was shouting at me in some sort of African language which I could not understand. The rage in his tone gave me the sense that life had taken this man and thrown him into the desert. He was Chaos as far as I was concerned and there was no point in trying to reason with Chaos. Especially, when he’s got a gun pointed at your face.

His appearance made him look like he was the man to avoid eye-contact with when shopping at the grocery store or the kind of villain that walks into a saloon and changes the drunken noise into silence upon arrival. He was wearing two-different sized boots and a ripped up pair of jean shorts. His build was just as frightening as his bravado with his massive arms sticking out of the black sleeveless Nike shirt he was wearing. If he was so angry about rich white tourists getting off the bus in this shitty little town, then why was he wearing a cool American muscle shirt? It didn’t matter. It was the fruits of my capitalistic society either way. Something he probably didn't know much about, but who was I to know?

The racism pissed me off. The lack of respect pissed me off. The perspective pissed me off. My emotions melted like lava onto the hot pavement of the parking lot as I began to smoke faster and more nervous than I ever have.

2 comments:

  1. JB, i eagerly anticipate the chapter where you describe being hunted by a lion only later to reveal the huntee becomes the hunter as you rotisserie the lion over an open fire in the dessert.

    awesome descriptions man!

    ReplyDelete